- Stage T1c – T2b, and
- Either Gleason Score of 7 and PSA less than 10 ng/ml, or
- Gleason score of 6 and PSA between 10 and 20 ng/ml
It was deliberately a favorable intermediate group largely. At the time (2002) we felt that combination therapy was mandatory for the more advance patients and we weren’t comfortable randomizing to brachy alone for those patients.
- BT: 145 Gy of I-125 seeds or 125 Gy of Pd-103 seeds
- EBRT+BT: 45 Gy of EBRT and a boost with 110 Gy of I-125 seeds or 100 Gy of Pd-103 seeds
- Progression-free survival was 85% for EBRT+BT patients, 86% for BT patients (no difference)
- Acute grade 3 (serious) side effects were suffered by 8% in each group.
- Late-term grade 3 (serious) side effects were higher (12%) in the EBRT+BT compared to 7% in the BT group